To set up Round-Ups®, you'll first need to link your spending accounts — the credit and debit cards you use to shop. We’ll round up your purchases on these cards to the nearest dollar as you go about your day, and when all that rounded-up spare change adds up to at least $5, we'll invest it for you in your diversified investing portfolio.
It's an easy, automatic way to invest in your future — just from your spare change. Here's how to get started.
Link your primary checking account
First, double check that you have a verified checking account linked to your Acorns account so we can transfer your investments.
This account is always going to be your investing funding source. What this means is all Acorns investments are transferred from this one checking account. Even though we're keeping track of the spare change from your purchases on your linked debit or credit cards for your Round-Ups®, the money is not transferred from those cards.
Link your spending accounts
The next step is to link your spending accounts so we can keep track of your spare change. There's no limit to how many debit and/or credit cards you can link to the Round-Ups® feature.
Here's how to link your debit and credit cards for Round-Ups®:
From the Acorns app:
- Log in to your Acorns app
- From your home screen, tap "Invest"
- Tap "Round-Ups® Settings"
- Scroll down to "Linked Accounts"
- Tap "Cards linked"
- Tap "Link another account"
- Select your bank or card issuer by scrolling through the list or searching for it in the search box
- Enter your online banking credentials
- Log in to your account
- From your home screen, click "Invest"
- Click "Round-Ups® Settings"
- Scroll down to "Linked Accounts"
- Click "Manage"
- Click "Link another account"
- Select your bank or card issuer by scrolling through the list or searching for it bank in the search box
- Enter your online banking credentials and click "Submit"
Optimize your Round-Ups®
There are a few ways you can customize your Round-Ups® to make it even easier to invest in your future.
- Round-Ups® Multiplier: If you want to boost your Round-Ups®, try the Round-Ups® Multiplier to multiply your Round-Ups® by 2x, 3x, or even 10x. You can learn more here.
- Whole Dollar Round-Ups®: When you make a transaction that's an even dollar amount, you can choose how much you want to invest in your Acorns Invest account — anywhere from $0 to $1. You can learn more here.
- Real-Time Round-Ups® from your Acorns Visa™ debit card: If you have an Acorns Checking account, Round-Ups® get transferred with every swipe of your Acorns Visa™ debit card, instead of waiting until they reach that $5 minimum — giving your money the chance to start growing right away. You can learn more about Real-Time Round-Ups® here.
Here's how to explore these different settings for your Round-Ups®:
- Log in to your account from your Acorns app or acorns.com
- From your home screen, tap or click "Invest"
- Tap or click "Round-Ups® Settings"
- Set your preferences and tap or click "Save"
Important information about your linked accounts
Round-Ups® can be a great way to invest your spare change in the background of life, but it's important to make sure you have enough money in your linked accounts to cover your investing.
If you don't keep enough money in your primary checking account, you could incur overdraft fees with your bank.
If this is something you're concerned about, you could consider turning off automatic Round-Ups® and reviewing them manually instead. Here's more information on the difference between automatic and manual Round-Ups®.