What is a 1099-DIV/B tax form?

Article author
  • Updated

Who receives a 1099-DIV/B form? 

Where is my 1099-DIV/B form? 

Important tax information 

The 1099-DIV/B form is a combination of two different tax forms that are often consolidated and sent to you as one form. The 1099-DIV reports on dividends you earned on your investments, and the 1099-B lists any money you made or lost when you withdrew money from your Acorns investment account. 

When you withdraw money from your account, we must sell holdings in your portfolio. If your investments gained in value, you may be taxed on those gains

Who receives a 1099-DIV/B form?

If any of the following apply to you, you'll receive a 1099-DIV/B:

  • You received more than $10 in dividends in the previous year. Dividends are periodic payouts of earnings that some stocks and funds share with their investors — like a little bonus on top of any regular returns. Acorns automatically reinvests dividends for you in your portfolio, but you may still be taxed on them. You can check to see what dividends you received by visiting the “Recent Activity” section of your Acorns Invest and Early accounts.
  • You withdrew from your Acorns Invest or Early account or sold some of your investments for more than $20 last year. When you sell an investment for a profit, we call that a capital gain, and it might be taxed by the IRS. You can learn more about capital gains tax here.
  • There were rebalances in one or more of your Acorns investing accounts.

Where is my 1099-DIV/B form?

If you qualify for a 1099-DIV/B form, we'll email you a link to download the form by February 21, 2024. You can also check for tax forms under Settings

Here's the full schedule for the different types of tax forms you may receive from Acorns this tax season, following the deadlines set by the IRS.

Important tax information

Your tax situation is unique, so you may want to talk to a tax professional or visit www.irs.gov to figure out what applies to you and what you may need to report.

Acorns doesn't provide tax advice, but if you have any questions or concerns about your account, please contact us.


Was this article helpful?

0 out of 0 found this helpful

Have more questions? Submit a request



Article is closed for comments.